Monday, November 9, 2015

Hot Banku!

Well hello!

Hello everyone! :D Sunday marked me at 4 months which is crazy talk! It's just crazy how fast weeks go here! This week was pretty good. I learned a lot like last week, and I also did some cool Ghana activities!
This week we finally tried riding bikes. Elder Tawodzera is doing great! He just is riding slow and is a little nervous about cars. (Which reminds me of me back in the day ;) So on Wednesday we were riding far to get to our chapel. On the way Elder Tawodzera hit a parked taxi, and an old woman. But the taxi guy was super nice and hilarious; he told him "You are a Christian, and you're afraid of death?!" so that made me laugh. He also said things like "This is a part of life!" and other encouraging things like that. Elder Tawodzera only hit the old lady's cane so she was fine with it. If we were in any other country he would have been toast. But the people of Ghana are seriously the nicest people I have ever seen. I have only been insulted once or twice in my whole mission. I just have come to love them so much! Something that will be really awkward for me when I get back is when I will just greet everyone I see. Here you have to greet or people will get mad and call you back and say "why didn't you greet me? Am I not your friend?" and other things like that :) So when I will be back people will think I’m a weirdo cause I will just say. "Good afternoon!" all the time. Anyways here are some fun things I experienced this week:
 I saw my first cockroach, which was running at me. So I flipped out until Elder Obiarinze the Nigerian elder kicked it across the room and out the door. I felt kinda dumb but it was fun.
I drank water from a coconut then ate the flesh inside! It was pretty interesting but good! There is usually just a guy with a wheel barrow full of them and a machete who goes around to people who want to buy them. I made the best smoothie I’ve ever had in my whole life! It had bananas, pine apple, then I added strawberry milk mix and sugar! It was the best thing ever :D Like I said before, you can't beat the pineapple here! I received the family package with the replacement ipod and spices! I am so glad I have spices and bacon again! (The other package got moldy...) I even got to make mac and cheese which made me so happy! One member gave me Banku and Pepe, which is like the hottest food in Ghana apparently. I finished the whole thing and felt really proud! (the picture is attached.). Banku and Pepe is that fermented dough I was talking about, then you dip it in basically really hot salsa and fish. Then you swallow it! :D It was actually pretty good! My lips were on fire. I just love how much of an adventure I am having!
As for the homosexual baptism thing, I haven't heard anything about it. In Ghana having a homosexual relationship is illegal  In tree they call it "Soupe soupe" which is pretty funny. So whenever we teach someone about chastity they always laugh when we mention those things. Sometimes they say "Well what about your country? It's legal!' so that's kinda dumb.
But on the spiritual side of things. This week was pretty hard with finding and appointments falling through. But I think the Lord is really teaching us patience. I also learned that God doesn't want us to be frustrated. We just have to move forward and deal with it. There are some things we can't control and so we need to be patient. I'm also just learning so much as a trainer! I get to help someone understand and adjust to missionary work. It isn't an easy task, especially when your trainee is four years older than you. :) But I just helped him understand that God qualifies who he calls and so on :) I know that God loves us so much and that he wants the best for us! I am so grateful for this opportunity to be able to help others come unto Christ. Something special happens to you when you study your scriptures everyday, and give all of your time and efforts to the Lord. I am just so glad to be able to be here! I can't believe that I have been out four months already! By Christmas I will be six months! It's just crazy. I am so grateful for all of you and your support towards me. I really do feel your prayers for me, I know that God will bless you for everything you do to help missionaries.
I know that this church is true and that God speaks to his prophets. This Gospel is so amazing and pure. Following the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only way to be truly happy! I know this is true!

Thanks for all of your emails and support! I love you and hope you have a great week!

-Elder Ballard


Pictures: Ghana Landscape & Banku and Pepe

No comments:

Post a Comment