Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Service and New Ties

Happy Tuesday Everyone! 

Yesterday we traveled to Accra for my companion's doctor's appointment so I get to email today!
I'm glad that everyone is doing well. It's so ironic that my furnace at my home in America broke so you're all freezing, while I'm trying to cool off with fans here in West Africa! Man I can't wait to be cold again. I can't believe it's almost December and that I have like 7 months left. That means if I was female of the species I would be going home next month! Lucky for me I have more time to enjoy and keep serving! 

This week was a good one! Our mission is focusing on service so that's what we did and some miracles followed! 
The miracle which really amazed me happened with a girl named Mavis. Or her Ghanaian name is Obaa Yaa. She sells purses, bags, and sandals in a shed in the quieter part of the market. We are also teaching her friend Asaneth who sells white shirts (you can probably tell how we met her). So once we were going to see Asaneth but she wasn't there. So we started talking to Mavis who liked how we could speak a little Twi and stuff but would never let us teach her. So we just sat in front of her shop talking to her. Then God gave us the opportunity and caused the sky to start raining. (It came out of no where!) So immediately she said we could come inside the little tin roof shed. As we came in we helped her put in the bags. I was tall enough to grab the bags hanging from the ceiling while my companion put all the flip flops in a bag. Finally when we were all done we sat down with her and just kept talking about which Ghanaian food we like and stuff. Then I knew it was time, and so I looked at my companion and I said "So, Elder Joseph, why do you think there are so many churches today?" and then with a little smile he said "You know companion, It could be caused by a lot of things. I don't really know. Maybe it's because of money, or ... I don't know." Then I turned to Mavis and asked her "What do you think?" and she said she couldn't tell. Then we were able to teach her about the apostasy by acting like I was the one with the question. So by the end I said "Okay thanks so much, It was a question I was thinking about." After that lesson, she acted different. When the rain stopped (right as our lesson was done) she said "Well okay, thank you guys for your support and your message."

We were able to come back a couple days later and teach her and Asaneth together about the Book of Mormon. When we gave Asaneth one she said "Wait, it's for me? For free?" and me and my companion both looked at each other and said "Of course!" and she was so surprised and happy. Then Mavis was checking something in her shop and she heard that we gave Asaneth one so she rushed out and said "Meh Pe Book! Meh pe book!" (I need the book! I need the book!) so thank goodness we had two Books of Mormon with us that day! It was so cool that they accepted it so willingly. We hope that they will be able to visit the church this week.

This experience really showed me how much power service has. Without it Mavis wouldn't even want to talk to us. The cool thing too is that when we gave her the pamphlet she didn't read it. But when we gave her the Book of Mormon she said (I'll use a Ghanaian accent) "For dis one deah (there) I'll read." So I really know that service brings joy to the person who serves and the person served too. I hope we can "light the world" with Christlike service, especially in this wonderful season :) I love you all so much and hope that you will all have a great week! 

Twi of the week:

Afishi Apa! Ah Fee Comentoo yeh! "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Pictures: I got some new ties from a Ghanaian return missionary! We also ate joaloff rice this week! 

Love you all! 


-Elder Ballard 





New Ghanaian ties



Christmas decor

Ghanaian turkeys!


Joaloff rice



My Thanksgiving meal




No comments:

Post a Comment