Monday, March 6, 2017

Parable of the Rotten Rice


Hello Everyone! I might not know where you are or what you are doing. But let me just say... Haaaay. (tangled)

But seriously I think this week was the best bundle of emails I've ever got on my mission. I just felt so much love and laughed my head off at the same time while reading them. Thanks Family, I love you guys so much!

Well... I guess this week I'll be 20 months a missionary. That's just messed up. I didn't think I would ever get this far. Not to mention that I'll go home when I'm 23 months. Man I didn't think my mission would fly like this! Anyways I'm glad I still have 3 months to enjoy Ghana and the people, food, work etc. But just like all you said, I miss you so much and I can't wait for the day where I will know that I gave it my all and that I did my part and then be able to see you :)
As for this week nothing much happened. But there are some fun things and lessons that were cool. Our apartment still isn't finished so some guys came and were laying tiles for the other elder's bathroom. So while we were there we were able to teach the gospel to them casually and just answer any questions from them. It was really cool. When they finished on Friday or so we gave them each a restoration pamphlet and a Book of Mormon.

We also had a really gross experience. Our elder's quorum president gave us a whole pot of joaloff rice after he found out we were robbed, which was nice of him. But the thing was, we didn't finish the thing. So the rice sat there for like 3 days. As it got older we just kept moving it farther away from the kitchen. Then one day we had enough. We had to get rid of the rancid thing. We were trying to figure out ways of doing it. Someone said we should just pour it over our compound wall (I won't mention the name of that person. His first name doesn't start with a K if you were wondering.) But Elder Ackley the wise said "Let's bury it as the weapons of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis of old" So that's what we did. Luckily we had a pick axe! So we used it to dig a hole in the far corner of our backyard. Then Ackley used his camera to take a video. I lifted the lid off the pot and it looked like nacho cheese at first but then I noticed the smell, and other fuzzy things that I won't mention. So I put my T-shirt over my nose and mouth then picked up the pot to the hole. As I was pouring it we were both laughing and gagging at the same time (Elder Ackley has the video) it was so bad. After we poured it inside, we buried it and put a tombstone there for remembrance. Even though it wasn't that pleasant, it was a fun experience that I'll always laugh about.

Now I know what you’re thinking. "Man all this guy is doing on his mission is dumping rotten food into holes all the time." But there's more to this experience, something spiritual. Something I learned from this experience is 1st. We can't procrastinate the day of our repentance. Sometimes we have bad habits or things that we need to change or throw away. (like that nasty pot of rice) If we keep putting it off, it will get moldy and fermented and harder to clean. It's the same with those habits we have. It's easier to remove them that moment than wait.
2nd. the only way to repent is through Christ. No matter how rancid our leftover rice will be it can always be cleansed again. That pot is now clean and in our quorum president's hands today, ready to hold food to feed us again as though nothing happened. That is how the atonement is. That's why we need to always repent everyday so that we can always be clean.

Mormon said:"...Turn ye unto the Lord; cry mightily unto the Father in the name of Jesus, that perhaps ye may be found spotless, pure, fair, and white, having been cleansed by the blood of the Lamb, at that great and last day." (Mormon 9:6) I know that the atonement is true!

At the end of the week we had a great Sacrament Meeting, the spirit was really strong. I love testimony meetings because it reminds me that millions of Latter-Day Saints including my family are bearing their testimonies on the same day. During the last hour me and my companion taught primary which was crazy! African kids have so much energy it's crazy! But something cool is that I taught them the song "Give Said the Little Stream"! So that will be a sweet contribution to their lives, maybe they’ll remember me when they'll sing it. I wrote the lyrics on the white board than pointed to each word until they got it down. So fun! Also let me tell you that fasting in Africa is 65% harder to do. Especially the water part especially if you are a missionary! So we we're almost falling over after church but fasting is a really cool commandment to follow :) It really brings blessings!

I have more spiritual stuff to say but maybe I'll save it for next week :)
Well everyone, Thanks again for your emails! I'll never forget these ones. I know that this is God's work. I know that we are all chosen of God to serve him. I know this is where I was called to serve. I know that if we are all faithful, that God will protect us. I wish you all a great week. You are always in my prayers and in my heart. I love you all so much!


-Elder Ballard

No comments:

Post a Comment