Monday, February 1, 2016

Blessings, and Seven Miles to Church

Dearest Loved ones!

This week went by crazier than a cross eyed mule at a potluck! (You’re getting better at the similes Mom) I can't believe how weird time is on your mission. One minute you’re at the internet cafe, then you teach some lessons, then you go to church, and then you’re at the cafe again! I was looking in my journal and realized that today is my 200 day mark which was kinda fun. It doesn't seem like I’ve been out that long at all! So maybe I’ll try cooking some African stew to celebrate. Anyways, this week was really great! There were some really good strengths and events that happened! As all of your other missionary friends have said, this week we were able to go to a broadcast for all the missionaries in the world! I learned so much! I think four apostles spoke as well as some seventies plus the relief society president if I’m not mistaken. It was so cool to know that all the missionaries (especially my missionary friends.) around the world are learning and growing from the same broadcast. It gave me so much zeal to go forward with the week!

One of the things I learned was how valuable members are in lessons! This week we were able to go out with a member who we haven't really known very well named Johanna. Members carry such power with them! We went and taught a lady named Gladys. We talked about the Holy Ghost and how it gives us answers so Johanna was able to testify of her own experience and talk about how the Holy Ghost touches our hearts. After we taught that she said that she felt like what we have been teaching her was true. So at the end of the lesson with linked it with baptism and invited her to be baptized. She accepted and will hopefully be baptized this month! That lesson gave us so much hope and we were so glad to finally see fruits of our labors! There was a scripture I found at the beginning of this week that helped me a ton. It's Alma 26:27 "Now when our hearts were depressed, and when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the [Ghanaians] and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." This scripture really helped me know that If we are patient God will give us success. Also I learned from last week that some of us sow and some of us reap. We lost an investigator whose name is Rosemary, she was just so busy and said she wouldn't have time. So we were kind of bummed because she was so excited about the Book of Mormon. But then we realized that Gladys was taught by missionaries before as well and stopped, before we came and again taught those truths to her. So it really showed that everything we do as missionaries is missionary work! Baptizing isn't everything, it's only a part of it. You can't harvest fruit from a tree when the tree isn't grown. So that is something I learned this week.

This Sunday also went well! An investigator finally came to church! He came after sacrament...But still! This week just gave us a lot hope and comfort, so I'm so grateful for that. I am so blessed to be in this wonderful country and to be among such Christ-like people. I just can't ever stop talking about Ghanaians and how great they are. I can already tell that I will miss them so much.
After church there were some funny experiences. One guy offered to pray at the end of a lesson so we bowed are heads. Then all of a sudden he started singing slowly and deep. Words like "Ohhh God the almightyyyyy, thaaaank you for your glorrrry." and repeated it twice. Me and my companion were trying not to laugh and I am so glad we held it in, otherwise we would have lost him as an investigator. Then after he sang, he started his prayer and kept repeating the same words over and over like "Oh father we thank thee father we thank thee all the time, we thank the holy spirit, we thank thee father, please take us home safe father, we thank you father...etc." This went on for about 7 minutes. So after we heard an enthusiastic Amen we finally opened our eyes. As light finally entered into our corneas we thanked him. As we were walking to our bikes he asked us "So how did you like the song?" so we told them we liked it and that next time we'll bring a hymn book so we can sing together. I love experiencing new cultures and fun things like that :) That experience will always be there for a laugh.

Also on Saturday I got sick again and had to lay in bed all day again. I think it was something I ate, but it wasn't as bad as last time thank goodness!  I wanted to go to church so bad because I was sure an investigator would come. I felt so weak and I was just wondering how I could bike 7 miles to church with the strength I had. So I asked for a priesthood blessing from my companion and roommate and went to sleep. I slept so well and when I woke up and felt like a new person! It truly was a miracle that made me know even more that the priesthood of God is restored to the earth. I am so grateful for the gospel we have and for everything that God has given us. I want to testify that we are in the right place. Just keep following the commandments and God will bless you. I promise! I know these things are true and I hope you will too.
Thanks everyone so much for your emails and support! I love you all so much and I hope you have a great week!



Thanks again! Have a great week!

-Elder Ballard




No comments:

Post a Comment