Monday, June 27, 2016

Malaria Club...

Hello everyone!!!
Wow thanks for all of your awesome emails and virtual hugs, they mean a lot (just kidding I'm not allowed to hug). ;) This week was really busy and productive! We even had a baptism!
At the beginning of the week we were teaching and doing great things! It just feels dang good to work your tail off and go home and write in your journal about it! I am loving this area and my companion a ton we get along so well and the people here are my favorite on this side of the Nile! I just love how you can literally become someone's best friend in about 10 seconds here, I am just so blessed! 

Anyways, I can't really remember the week because it was so busy but I did remember the end of the week. Ya know why? I joined the malaria club! (WOOO!) On Friday night I woke up because the power was off and I felt like I was cooking! So I got up like four times and after that I was able to fall asleep. In the morning I took my temperature and it was pretty dang high so I went to the hospital all day and I felt way better in the evening. I'm lucky that I caught it early so it didn't get worse. I'm still recovering but I know I'll be fine. I've been taking my medicine everyday as well so there must have just been a lucky mosquito. Anyways, I can now tell people that I've had malaria. I'm just glad it wasn't that bad. :) 



On Saturday I was super scared because I had to be at church the next day to play the piano and to organize the baptism and everything. So I received a priesthood blessing from my comp and another elder in my apartment. On Sunday I still felt weak but I made it to church. Church went well, the power went off during the sacrament hymn which was a little awkward since the keyboard stopped, but everyone just kept singing like they do. After the sacrament the light turned on again and everything was fine. We checked the font and it wasn't filling fast enough so we had the other elders fill up buckets and fill it up that way. We have to buy them each a frosty splash which is like a frozen mango slushy inside a plastic bag that you rip off a corner and drink it. plus it's only 1 cedi which is like a quarter... The perks of Ghana. Anyways they saved our baptism for us and we were able to go on with it. As it was filling we saw a gecko that fell inside and then died, and sank to the bottom. So that was kinda sad, but I guess there are worse places to drown than a baptismal font.
Anyways my companion baptized Hanna who we have been teaching for a while, she is so funny and will be a great member. There were also three child of records that they wanted him to do. Baptisms are such a cool thing to attend, it was so cute to see all these little black kids coming out of the water gasping and smiling :) It's truly a privilege to know that that ordinance is bound on earth and in heaven by being done by priesthood authority. It's such a blessing to be here. Also something that touched me was during sacrament I heard from the window the kids in the other ward singing "I love to see the temple." and their accents are just so cute, I couldn't help but smile! They sang "I love to see da temple I'm going dea some dey, to feel da holy spirit, to list-en and to prey." I am just so grateful once again to be here and to experience all these things! I can already tell that I will miss the people here more than anything. I know that this church is so true and that the priesthood is only in this church. I know that only the gospel of Jesus Christ is the only thing that can bring families together, peace on the earth, and love to mankind. Thanks again for your amazing emails! I appreciate them so much!
Twi of the Week!
Minim (Min-eem) "I don't know"
If there is any words you guys want to know you can tell me so I can find them out :)
Culture Corner:
People just buy random clothes here sent from places, and once I saw a guy wearing a cub scout shirt with no badges on it. It had the American flag on it and stuff but it was pretty funny. :)
Our chapel at sunset! 
Love you all so much! Thanks for everything and have a great week!

-Elder Keaton Ballard  

No comments:

Post a Comment