Monday, August 8, 2016

Testimonies and Blessings in Ghana

Hello Everyone!!!

Man, another month has already gone past...I can't believe I have like what...11 months left? What the fetch. This week was cool though! It went by fast as always and we got some great work done! Elder Howland got sick this week which was a bummer but he taught me how to play a fun Ghanaian game that we have. Then we went and found some members places that we didn't know and visited them. One of them is Sister Alice who is an older lady who had a stroke so she's crippled in her right hand and one leg. She is such a loving lady! Her two room house is decorated so nicely like a grandma's home! We were able to sing hymns with her which was a fun experience. :) I love members here, they are such loving people and I've grown so close to them!

The highlight of the week was Sunday though. We had the best fast and testimony meeting I've ever seen in Ghana! Loads of people were running up and looking at the clock so that they could bear their testimony. One of the recent converts who is our best friend (her name is Evelyn) bore her testimony for the first time, and the spirit was so strong! She shared about faith. She talked about how she was sick and how received a priesthood blessing from us. Before she had it she had heard about blessings before but was kind of doubting them. When I asked her if she wanted one she said "Will it work?" Then I told her it all depended on her faith. Then she received the blessing and in a couple days was healed. She then talked about how when she first joined the church tons of people were talking bad about her and the church and how she felt really bad. But as time went on and as we kept teaching her that it got better. Then she powerfully said "I can surely tell you as I am standing here, that this church is true."
It was such a humbling experience to be in the presence of such faithful saints. It was so fun to sit at the keyboard and look out and see people sitting on the edges of their seats and nervously looking at the clock and jumping out of their chairs to bear their testimony. I hope that we can always be like that. I always remember something that Brother Wahlquist quoted that "Our testimonies are found in the bearing of it." And I have seen that to be true as I have born my testimony every day. I love being a missionary. I can see so clearly now how important missions are especially for priesthood holders. It literally makes you more like Heavenly Father. Nothing good comes easy, but it comes for the best. I know that this is true.

There's a scripture I would like to share in Alma 1:25: Now this was a great trial to those that did stand fast in the faith; nevertheless, they were steadfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of God, and they bore with patience the persecution which was heaped upon them.
I know that as we go through trials that it will be for our good. Not only trials but just plain hard things! I know this church is true and that God loves us! Thank you all for all of your love and support.

Video!!!
This is me teaching you how to eat Banku with Groundnut and Okra Soup!
Man I'm hungry just thinking about it! (I'm gonna miss this food!)

Twi of the week!
Mi kwa Ba (Me-qua-bah) "I'll go and come"

Love you all!

-Elder Ballard




No comments:

Post a Comment