Monday, January 30, 2017

Release Date and Bush Rat Stew

Hey 2017 have you seen January? Jaaanuary? Jaaanuary where are you?

 Dang! I thought I would only have six months forever, but I guess time goes forward whether you do anything or not! Anyways I guess we'll let February in this week. I don't know if it's impolite or against missionary culture to tell everyone your release date. I've never done it before. It's sort of a once in a life time thing. But it sounds like people want to know so I'll tell you. Sound good? Good. 
So because of the new mission president coming on July 1st the missionary department wants us to leave before then so it doesn't freak out the new mission president by making him move around 32 elders at once. So they want my MTC group to go June 13th. :) So that's a big difference of what I was originally told which was July 10th. So this week my mind set changed to having 6 months left to 4 months... :O 

It actually kinda surprised me! I was excited to see everyone but it kind of woke me up that I don't have much time and that I need to work my tail off until then. Man It's exciting but crazy at the same time! At first it was a rumor and I didn't believe it. But at the zone conference this week My MTC group and the APs confirmed it. So the secret is out! I'm determined to work my hardest.
This week was an adventure though! We stayed at another two missionary apartment for like 3 days so there was six of us in one apartment. Some elders were complaining but I had a blast! We slept on the floor and I'm sure we helped entertain those other elders who were there. We even had rice with bush rat stew! (the two elders were Nigerian) Man it was nice! I'll have a huge list of things to tell people I've eaten. 

Then in the middle of the week we went to a multi zone conference where we listened to the missionary counsel (Elder Oaks, Anderson, Bednar, and other leaders.) and they announced changes in the missionary schedule and the numbers that we report so that was a cool change! I love continuing revelation :) I also got to see all my good buddies I've served with. I remember early on my mission I didn't like conferences like that because I didn't know anyone. Now when I come I shake like 50 hands because I know everyone! So it was a fun week :) 

Also on Sunday 7 investigators came to church! O_O 4 were in our area and 3 were for the other elders, so I'm really excited for this week and to see if we can continue to teach them. I hope you all remember Christiana. She's dong so well. Whenever she sees a new person she welcomes them and tells them to keep coming and learning. It warms your heart to see the fruit of your labors multiply :) 
Anyways I'm excited for this week and see how it goes! It will be cool to see our new apartment as well, I here we have a Papia tree :D 

The spiritual thought I have this week  is on 2 Corinthians 9:6 which says: "But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully." So Paul is telling us that if we hold back our efforts in the gospel we'll have a little reward, but if we do everything we can we'll have so many blessings which we can't even count. That's what's motivating me to work as hard as I can these next couple months. :) I know that God will reward us for trying even if things don't work out that day, we can keep trying. 
I love you all so much and I know this church is true. Thanks for all of your support, it doesn't go unnoticed. :) have a glorious week! 

-Elder Ballard 

Pics:

cooked rodent legs :) 
water pump from a well,
eating rice after a lesson,
and our neighbor's adorable baby :D 





No comments:

Post a Comment